Dangers of Plastic Bottled Water

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We store our water in all sorts of plastic be it in plastic bottles, containers or jugs but do we know the negative impact this may have on our health?  The plastic can be high grade or low grade but at the end of the day it’s still plastic and we should be cautious.

 

Plastic containers carry many chemicals and bacteria that can harm us and here’s why:

  1. Harmful substances: the plastic bottles produce harmful substances such as fluoride, aluminium and arsenic. These substances are poisonous to our body as drinking water from plastic bottles would mean that we’re drinking poison in literal sense.
  2. BPA generation: Biphenyl A is an estrogen-mimicking chemical which can lead to health problems such as obesity, fertility issues, diabetes, early puberty in girl and behavioural problems. 
  3. Dioxin production: Many of us carry our plastic bottled water with us when we go out in the sun or when we’re driving. When plastic is directly exposed to the sun the heating releases a toxin called Dioxin. The consumtion of Dioxin can increase the chance of developing breast cancer.
  4. Liver cancer and decrease in sperm count: There is a chemical called Phthalates in plastic that can lead to an increased chance of developing liver cancer and a reduced sperm count.
  5. Negative impact on immune system: The chemicals in plastic bottles can disturb our body’s immune system when we consume  plastic bottled water
  6. Plastic bottled vitamin water: Don’t let the vitamin based bottled water make you think that you are consuming a health product as companies do this as a tool for marketing. The so called ‘vitamin water’ contain health-harming additives such as high fructos corn syrup and food dyers.

 

Solution? Glass bottles instead of plastic bottles!

Here are some tips on how you can reduce your exposure to toxins that are release by plastic

  1. Use glass or stainless steal instead of plastic
  2. Purchase a good water filter to filter your tap water from harmful substances and store it in ceramic containers or glass.
  3. If you can’t avoid eating or drinking from plastic, try to avoid exposing the food or drink to the sun and in the microwave.

Key words: Less is more!

 

Source: Lybrate-Health Tip

images: lahealthyliving

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s